Have you ever wondered how big fashion brands reach you and millions of other people? It isn’t just that they are good with style; they also have a good sense of finding and using fashion keywords.
With strategic use of these keywords or terms, they cater to the right audience with the finest content that attracts them and turns them into loyal customers.
In this article, I will share with you a complete list of top keywords that can help you enhance your fashion brand’s online visibility.
This list of fashion keywords is tailored just for you. Whether you’re looking to optimize your fashion website or keep up with the latest trends, these keywords are your compass in the vast and ever-changing fashion landscape.
Fashion Keywords List with Examples
The fashion industry is unique due to its dynamic and trend-driven nature. Generally, it is influenced by a number of things, including seasons, cultural or celebrity influence, changing local and global trends, events, and much more. Which means there’s a lot to be done in terms of keyword research.
Of course, not every keyword is your top pick, so to make things easier, we will divide these keywords into different categories and with examples of each.
For instance, some popular non-branded keywords for trendy mufflers can be “trendy knit mufflers,” “bold red mufflers,” “how to choose the right scarf color, and luxurious handcrafted mufflers.”
In the above example, we have covered different parameters for a single type of keyword. Here are some top-performing fashion keywords.
|Search Volume (Monthly)
|baby boy clothes
|dresses for graduation
|baby shower dresses
|New York Fashion Week
|black cocktail dress
|family matching outfits
|business casual outfits for women
|Plus size swimwear
|Men’s fashion sneakers
Got a headstart? Let’s move forward then.
Long-Tail Keywords for Fashion
Personalization is key in the fashion industry, right? The long-tail keywords do that for you. As these are detailed and highly specific phrases, it helps a brand to capture different types of customer preferences and search intents.
These keywords typically consist of three or more words and are highly specific. This specificity leads to a higher conversion rate because your content aligns more closely with what users are searching for. Unlike broad terms, they allow you to reach consumers who are further down the purchase funnel and closer to making a buying decision.
For example, instead of a broad term like “summer clothing,” a long term like “lightweight linen dresses for summer vacations” will address the users’ more specific needs. You’re not just selling a product; you’re providing a solution. This approach helps you establish authority and trust with your audience. And the best part is? It comes with less competition as compared to generic searched keywords for fashion (aka short-tail ones).
Let’s take a look at some popular examples of long-tail keywords in the fashion industry:
- Trendy plus-size fashion for curvy women
- How to rock boho-chic outfits
- Women’s blouses for a sophisticated office wardrobe
- Spring collection for toddlers
- Stylish back-to-school outfits
- Best plus-size activewear for workouts
- Aviator sunglasses for men’s eyewear style
- Casual men’s sneakers for everyday wear
- Top-rated men’s office shoes for all-day comfort
Short Tail Fashion Keywords
Switching gears from long-tail keywords, you’ll find that short-tail fashion keywords are the broader terms often used by consumers at the start of their search journey. These keywords are less specific, but they pack a powerful punch in terms of search volume. Consumers are likely to use these when they’re not quite sure what they’re looking for yet.
Short-tail keywords are the starting blocks, the first step a consumer takes before diving deeper into the specifics of style, trend, or designer. Imagine typing ‘dresses’ into a search engine. That’s a short-tail keyword. It’s broad and could return anything from summer dresses to evening gowns.
Once you have engaged users with these general terms, you can then showcase specific products on your website and even use these short-tail keywords as a doorway to long-tail keywords.
Here are some of the most popular fashion keywords in this category:
- Casual blue shirt
- Elegant long dress
- Formal black leather shoes
- Summer maxi dress
- Buy men’s leather belts
- Top fashion designers
- Business casual women’s attire
- Shop for boys’ sneakers
- Kids’ accessories
- Find discounted activewear
Branded Fashion Keyword List
These terms often fuse the brand name with a product type or style, making the user’s search more focused and the results more relevant to what they’re looking for. Brand-related keywords can help improve your brand recognition for different types of audiences, such as old ones who stick to one label and GenZs who are open to experimenting with different brands.
For instance, typing ‘Gucci crossbody bag’ or ‘Versace silk scarf’ into a search engine will pull up products that aren’t just any crossbody bag or silk scarf but those that carry the prestige and specific design qualities of these iconic brands.
So, if you are someone looking to establish your brand in the market, these keywords would be really helpful. Some of the most common examples of branded keywords in this industry could be:
- Gucci handbag
- Jimmy Choo high heels
- Christian Louboutin red bottoms
- Prada sunglasses
- Balenciaga speed trainers
- Stella McCartney’s vegan leather
- Calvin Klein denim jeans
- Burberry trench coat outfit ideas
- Michael Kors watch deals
- Marc Jacobs crossbody bag reviews
Non Branded Keywords
With the help of non-branded keywords, businesses can target a broader audience that is interested in a specific category without having any inclination for any brand or labels. Let’s say a user searches “best running shoes for women”; for this result, even the lesser-known shoe brands with a better strategy come up in the search results. Plus, this type of keyword opens up opportunities for creating informative content, which is essential for brand discovery and establishing a brand’s authority. So, having these on your list is a win-win!
Non-branded fashion keywords can also include terms that resonate with your potential customer’s quest for individuality and style.
Read on for a list of non-branded keywords you can add to your list!
- Professional women’s office wardrobe
- Stylish men’s business casual outfits
- Classic women’s office dresses
- Formal men’s dress shirts
- Versatile women’s wardrobe essentials
- Chic women’s winter fashion look
- Versatile men’s business casual
- Elegant women’s evening wear
- Sweet and romantic women’s perfume
- Minimal gold bracelets
Seasonal Keywords For Fashion Industry
Seasonal fashion keywords are key phrases linked to a specific season. Using these keywords can help keep your content aligned with the latest seasonal trends. Whether your brand deals in year-round apparel or even season-specific brands, these keywords can help you leverage seasonal trends and target audiences looking for fashion inspiration or seasonal wardrobe options.
To stay ahead of the curve, you need to be familiar with the terms that capture the essence of the season. Here’s a crisp table to guide you:
|Pastel color palette
|Long sleeve dresses
Check out the list below for some valuable additions to your seasonal keyword list:
- Cozy knit sweaters for fall
- Winter woolen scarves
- Spring floral print blouses
- Beach shorts
- Men’s beachwear essentials
- Winter faux fur coats
- Summer maxi dresses
- Fall plaid shirts
- Women’s winter wardrobe essentials
- Fall cozy flannel pajamas
Product Descriptive Keywords
If you are thinking that product descriptive ones are the keywords that describe a product or its qualities, you are quite right. Descriptive keywords for fashion products are essential for pinpointing the exact style, fit, and look your audience is after. For example, one of these keywords can be “Tailored fit,” which conveys precision and care in construction, suggesting a garment that will hug the wearer’s contours perfectly and enhance their silhouette. These keywords can also describe the broader aesthetic your products fit into. Examples of such keywords include “Vintage-inspired” and “Bohemian chic.”
For any brand, each category likely has a number of products that can be divided based on their specialty. Let’s assume your brand sells eyewear; adjectives such as “round-frame” or “retro style” can be ideal target keywords.
Looking for the most searched keywords in this category? Here’s the list!
- Citrus-scented men’s cologne
- Classic men’s stainless steel watch
- Affordable recycled fashion trends
- Classic men’s leather jacket
- Versatile women’s crossbody purse
- Cozy women’s cashmere sweater
- Stylish men’s aviator sunglasses
- Boho women’s fringe kimono
- Minimal fashion accessories
- Cozy kids’ fleece pajamas
Festive and Event-based Fashion Keywords
In addition to the seasonal must-haves, you’ll need to be versed in festive and event-based fashion keywords that capture the celebratory spirit and elegance of special occasions. Whether you’re marketing your fabulous cocktail attire or the best discounts on resort wear, knowing the right terms can bring you closer to your target audience and help you rank higher for search queries related to your niche.
Here are a few top categories to classify fashion as per the occasion.
- Cocktail Attire: This suggests a semi-formal look, typically a dress for women and a suit for men. Think sleek, chic, and ready for a clink of glasses beneath the chandeliers.
- Black Tie: Here’s where you aim for full-on glamour. Men are in tuxedos, women in evening gowns. It’s all about making a grand entrance and leaving a lasting impression.
- Resort Wear: For those destination weddings or upscale vacation events, resort wear is your go-to. It’s the embodiment of luxurious relaxation, with a polished twist.
Some of the best examples of event-based fashion keywords include:
- Trendy New Year’s Eve looks
- Women’s wedding guest dresses
- Formal women’s gala gowns
- Women’s interview-appropriate attire
- Men’s sports game outfits
- Elegant cocktail dresses
- Snowy winter boots
- Holiday travel-ready attire
- Christmas wear for kids
- Prom dresses for homecoming
The most searched fashion keywords for a demographic also depend on the specific country or region, in which case leveraging keywords that are relevant to their festivals, culture, and events becomes absolutely essential.
Trending Fashion Keywords
Trending keywords refer to the terms that are widely used by searchers across the internet. It relates to user’s preferences, the latest trends, etc. Brands that stay on top of these trends rank higher, and for a good reason—they’re shaping the fashion narrative. For instance, here are a few trends that have been gaining popularity recently:
First on the list is ‘sustainable fashion.’ It’s not just about organic cotton or recycled polyester anymore; it’s a movement encompassing ethical production, reduced waste, and a smaller carbon footprint.
Next up, ‘streetwear‘ continues to dominate from high-end runways to the sidewalks of the urban jungle. It’s the fusion of comfort and cool, blending sneakers, hoodies, and oversized garments with a touch of luxury.
Let’s have a look at a list of the most searched keywords related to fashion trends.
- Casual men’s streetwear
- Sustainable men’s fashion
- Eco-conscious women’s swimwear
- Handmade artisan kids’ clothing
- Men’s fashion trends 2023
- Nostalgic fashion revivals
- Oversized hoodies for women
- Cargo pants for men
- Urban men’s street style
- Gender-neutral fashion
In recent years, there has been a 37% increase in searches related to sustainable materials in fashion, such as “organic cotton” or “recycled polyester.”
Region (Geographical Area) Inspired Fashion Keywords
Understanding locality is crucial as you navigate the world of fashion, ensuring your marketing strategies resonate with regional trends and cultural attire. It’s not just about global trends; it’s about what’s hot in your area, what the local designers are creating, and the unique fashion statements that define your region.
Local fashion keywords are a blend of place-specific styles, materials, and cultural influences. For example, if you’re in Paris, you might search for ‘haute couture’ or ‘Parisian chic,’ while in Tokyo, ‘Harajuku style’ or ‘kawaii fashion’ might be your go-to terms. These keywords not only help you find attire that’s trending in your vicinity but also connect you with local boutiques, fashion shows, and designers.
Don’t overlook the power of keywords related to various fashion events or local festivals. Keywords like ‘Carnival attire’ in Rio or ‘cowboy boots’ in Texas can attract a lot of organic traffic to your brand’s website.
Here are some of the best examples of regional fashion keywords.
- Japanese kimono-inspired robes
- Italian leather jackets for men
- French haute couture gowns
- African Ankara print dresses
- Moroccan kaftans for summer
- Turkish mosaic-patterned scarves
- Mexican embroidered boho blouses
- British tweed blazers for women
- Hollywood celebrity-inspired outfits
- K-pop fashion trends in 2023
Keyword Research for Fashion Brands
The US Fashion industry is expected to reach $237 billion by 2027. This points to the growing competition among fashion brands to stay at the top. And to achieve this position, you need thorough research on how and what your searchers expect. Understand that keyword research is the core of your SEO strategy, and it can both make or break your brand. Here are some of the benefits of using the right keywords for your fashion brand’s marketing strategy.
- Improving E-commerce sales
- Improved User Experience
- Building Brand Authority
- Competitive Edge
Tools that can be used
Just as a fashionista keeps an eye on the latest fashion trends, some keyword research tools spot what people are looking for. You can rely on some free tools that can be used for conducting keyword research- such as Google Trends, Pinterest, and Google Keyword Planner. Here, you can find some basic keyword insights such as search volume, related terms, and even content ideas.
Also, there are a few paid tools available, such as Ahrefs and SEMrush, that offer more advanced functionalities. These tools are perfect for you as they provide features like SEO audit, content marketing toolkit, position tracking, and additional AI tools such as Prowly.
Tips for Choosing The Right Keywords
Do you choose the clothes that don’t fit your personality? It is equally important to select the keywords that go well with the brand’s identity. Here are a couple of tips that you should consider while selecting your keywords.
Balancing Short-tail and Long-tail Keywords: Striking a balance between your keywords is crucial, as short-tail keywords attract more audience, and long-tail keywords get you high conversions. A combination of these two will give you a diversified and result-oriented strategy that will help you boost your online visibility and brand authority.
Focusing On Semantic Keywords: When you choose LSI keyphrases, you make sure that your content terms are relevant to the audience. Plus, these keywords are essential for providing additional context to your content. These keywords can also be used in Google ads campaigns for an expanding keyword target beyond exact matches.
Mining NLP Keywords: Almost all industries are now shifting their focus to NLP keywords, and the fashion industry is no different. Make sure you find enough natural-sounding keywords for your brand to gain trust from both users and search engines. For instance, instead of “Winter Women Clothes,” “What are the latest trends in women’s winter clothing?” would sound more natural.
Top Fashion Keywords Metrics You Should Know
While finding keywords for your fashion e-commerce store, a few terms may sound all Greek to you. But don’t worry, you don’t have to remember all of them. I’ll guide you to the top keyword metrics that hold the most value.
It refers to the average number of times a specific term, such as “classic black shoes,” is searched on the internet (usually over a month). By analyzing this data, fashion businesses can determine what search terms or keyphrases people are using in a period to find a product. As a result, they can optimize their content for in-demand keywords and even eliminate the ones no one is looking for.
As you guessed it, it refers to the level of competition for a fashion keyword. Let’s go back to our previous example of “black shoes.” Obviously, this has a high KD, which means that it will take more effort to rank on it. Instead of being overwhelmed by the KD, evaluate top players for these keywords and check whether there are opportunities to provide better content or target a specific fashion niche.
Understanding Search Intent for Fashion Keywords
It refers to the reason or the “why” behind a search that has been made. Let’s say your client searches “Buy summer outfits,” and he reaches your blog in which you have talked about “summer fashion ideas” only. This is why it’s important to understand the intent behind a search.
When your user wants to gain information about a fashion trend or event, the informational intent would be the best fit. Words such as “How to” and “What are” could be possible words in an informative query.
On the other hand, when the searcher wants to buy something from your brand, the transactional keywords fit in the picture. The words such as “buy” are involved in it.
How & Where to Implement Fashion Keywords
Now, we come to the next part: using these keywords in the right manner.
Websites and blogs: Include your keywords in your websites. The pages where they must be added are homepage, product pages, category pages, and navigation menu. If you have a fashion blog, you can even use them under titles, headings, and FAQs. Also, you can use them to optimize your meta tags, descriptions, and URLs.
E-commerce descriptions: You must incorporate your keyphrases into e-commerce descriptions. It helps search engines understand that you have relevant content. Make sure to use it in your title and body. And don’t overdo it.
Social Media: Fashion keywords can be implemented in your social media channels as they can drive traffic to your site. You can add your top keywords to your account’s descriptions and captions.
Facebook is the top social platform in the US, driving most traffic to fashion ecommerce sites from desktop and mobile. Reddit, YouTube, and Pinterest follow, with shares ranging from 9% to 19%.
Monitoring Your Fashion Keywords Performance
Once you are done creating your content around your keywords, it’s essential to take note of their performance and the impact they have on your organic reach.
The tools such as Google Analytics, Google Keyword Planner, and SEMrush can be used to get a detailed report about keyword performance.
Be it a trend or a search engine update, everything changes. I recommend you stay updated with the latest ranking algorithm changes to make informed decisions and quick adaptions to new strategies as well.
So far, we have gone through the list of top-performing keywords for the fashion industry. I have tried to give you as much as variety in the list, ranging from broad terms to the new NLP keywords.
As a brand, you have to make sure that you use them wisely in your content and even monitor their performance regularly. This will take you a long way in the SEO rankings.
At last, having a keyword list is like a wardrobe full of apparel, but how you pull it off makes the real difference.
A Recap on Fashion Keywords in 9 Points:
- Fashion keywords are specific words or phrases used in the fashion industry to describe trends, styles, or products.
- They help designers, marketers, and retailers identify and categorize fashion items for buyers’ ease.
- Fashion keywords often reflect cultural influences and can change over time.
- These keywords are commonly used in online search queries to find specific fashion items or inspiration.
- Fashion e-commerce stores often use relevant keywords to optimize their content for search engines.
- Fashion brands employ keyword research strategies better to understand their target audience’s interests and preferences.
- The popularity of certain fashion keywords can indicate emerging trends or shifts in consumer demand.
- Online marketplaces and retailers utilize fashion keywords to enhance product visibility and improve search rankings.
- By staying updated on current fashion keywords, industry professionals can stay ahead of the curve and effectively communicate with their audience.
9 Fashion Stats You Should Know:
- Approximately 86% of online fashion searches include at least one keyword related to “trendy” or “fashionable” clothing.
- The top three most searched fashion keywords are “dresses” (32%), “shoes” (21%), and “accessories” (15%).
- The average number of monthly searches for the keyword “sustainable fashion” has increased by 78% over the past year.
- Around 63% of people searching for fashion keywords also include a specific color in their search, with “black” being the most commonly searched color.
- Searches for gender-neutral fashion have risen by 92% in the last two years, indicating a growing demand for more inclusive clothing options.
- Keyword combinations, including words like “affordable,” “budget-friendly,” or “discounted,” account for approximately 41% of all fashion-related searches.
- Fashion keywords associated with seasonal trends, such as “summer dresses” or “winter coats,” receive a 27% higher click-through rate than general fashion searches.
- In recent years, there has been a 37% increase in searches related to sustainable materials in fashion, such as “organic cotton” or “recycled polyester.”
- Celebrity fashion collaborations generate an average of 56% more online searches compared to regular fashion brands.
FAQs on Fashion Keywords
Let’s find out if you have similar concerns to our frequently asked questions.
How can I incorporate keywords into my fashion blog?
If you want your fashion website to show up more easily in search engine results, start by using your keywords in the titles, headers, and regular content of your pages. Make sure also to include relevant keywords in your image alt text and meta tags. Keep your content current and up-to-date with the latest fashion trends, and make sure it’s not just stuffed with keywords but is also engaging and informative. That way, you’ll strike a balance between search engine optimization and quality content that your visitors will love.
Why is it essential to regularly update and refresh fashion keywords on an e-commerce website?
Regularly updating and refreshing fashion keywords on an e-commerce website is essential to stay aligned with evolving industry trends, adapt to changing consumer preferences, and maintain optimal search engine visibility. By doing this, you ensure that the website remains competitive and relevant and effectively captures the attention of the target audience searching for trending products.
What keyword metrics other than search volume and KD must I know?
Apart from search volume and keyword difficulty, prioritize Click-Through Rate (CTR) to assess user engagement and refine your content strategy. Also, analyze User Intent to ensure your keywords align with what users are actively seeking.
What are the top fashion keywords for an online clothing store?
As an online store, you must keep an eye on some keywords such as Designer Clothes, Affordable Fashion, Seasonal Fashion, Sustainable fashion brands, Find stylish men’s sneakers under $XX, etc. For a more detailed answer, you may contact me at my email email@example.com.
How can I use user-generated content for keyword research?
It’s quite easy. Begin by examining social media tags, mentions, and influencer partnerships to identify the most frequently used words by your audience. Keep tabs on customer reviews, interact with user-generated content, and conduct contests to obtain real-time insights into popular keywords. Once you are done with it, you can use this data to optimize your fashion keyword strategy.